Topics in Wounds and Wildflowers
- Desmond, Matthew. Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City. New York: Crown Publishers (2016). Includes stories of children living in poverty.
- Duneier, Mitch. SIDEWALK. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (1999). Includes circumstances of the homeless and introduces new uses of sidewalks.
- Luiselli, Valeria. Tell Me How It Ends, an Essay in Forty Questions. U.S.A.: Coffee House Press, (2017). A study of undocumented children and their dangerous journeys north.
- Boyle, Gregory. Tattoos on the Heart, The Power of Boundless Compassion. New York: Free Press (2010). Gregory Boyle is Founder of Homeboy Industries.
- Gawande, Atul. Being Mortal, Medicine and What Matters at the End. New York: Metropolitan Books, Henry Holt and Company, LLC (2014).
- Wesselman, Hank. Medicinemaker, Mystic Encounters on the Shaman’s Path. New York: Toronto, London, Sydney, Auckland: Bantam Books (1998).
- Sandberg, Sheryl. Grant, Adam M. Ph.D. Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy. London, UK: WH Allen, Ebury Publishing, part of Penguin Random House UK (2017).
Books on the Craft
These books have kept me humble in my learning process and steered me in the right direction. I've met the first four authors and am grateful for their inspiration and encouragement.
- Amir, Nina, The Author Training Manual. Ash, Ohio: Writer’s Digest Books (2014).
- Larson, Michael. How to Get a Literary Agent. Naperville, Illinois: SourceBooks, Inc. (2006).
- Caballo, Francis. Avoid Social Media Time Suck: A Blueprint for Writers to Create Online Buzz for Their Books and Still Have Time to Write. Santa Rosa, California: ACT Communications (2014).
- Levin, Donna. Get That Novel Written. Cincinnati, Ohio: Writer’s Digest Books (1994).
- Strunk Jr., William and White, E.B. The Elements of Style Fourth Edition. New Jersey: U.S.A., Pearson Education, Inc., (2000).
- Frey, James N. How to Write a Damn Good Novel II, Advanced Techniques for Dramatic Storytelling. New York, N.Y: St. Martin's Press (1994).
- Gardner, John. The Art of Fiction. New York: Random House, Inc. and Random House of Canada Limited, Toronto (1984).
- Gardner, John. On Becoming a Novelist: New York, N.Y.: W.W. Norton & Co, Inc. (1999).
- Lukeman, Noah. The First Five Pages. New York, N.Y.: FIRESIDE Rockefeller Center (2000).
- Hall, Oakley. The Art and Craft of Novel Writing. Cincinnati, Ohio: F&W Publications, Inc (1989).